5 Tips for Making Glasses Cool for Your Kids
Many kids struggle with having to wear glasses. They may fear being teased by their peers or don’t like the way the frame feels on their face. Fortunately, there are ways to help children adjust to using eyewear. The following five tips may help your child even learn to like the new style!
- Make Sure the Glasses Fit: Kids won’t want to wear anything that isn’t comfortable, that applies to clothes as well as eyeglasses. Since children are constantly growing, glasses that may have fit perfectly a couple of month ago, may not rest properly now. At Georgia Vision Center in Hiawassee, GA we adjust the fit of children’s eyewear, so they fit comfortably and remain in place.
- Let Them Choose Their Frames: Although glasses are a lot more stylish today than ever, kids may still feel self-conscious about having to wear them. A proactive approach is to allow your child to select frames that he or she likes. Don’t insert your personal fashion sense, let your child lead the way. If a kid thinks the frames look cool, they will be more eager to wear them.
- Make Sure the Glasses Are Age-Appropriate: Even a colorful or sparkly pair of glasses will not appeal to a child if they were designed with someone much younger in mind. On the flipside, styles for older kids may not fit properly. Have your child choose the right pair that is age appropriate.
- Set Goals and Take Your Time: If your youngster often removes the glasses or just won’t wear them, set goals and take it slow. Work the process gradually by having your child start by wearing them for half an hour, then work up to an entire day. If more motivation is needed, incorporate prizes or special time together (trip to the park, movies, etc.) for completed goals.
- Don’t Let Them Slack Off: If your child doesn’t stick to set goals to recruit help from others. Ask your child’s teacher to hold the child to the goal of the day. Always be supportive, but don’t let the kid off the hook. Provide encouragement by mentioning favorite characters, friends, family, mentors or celebrities that wear glasses.
Your optician and optometrists in Hiawassee, GA will not only ensure a proper fit, they help your child pick out the coolest frames!